Skip to content
Town council of
Moreruela de Tábara
ES

Moreruela de Tábara

The main village of the municipality, in the north-central part of the province of Zamora. It brings together the medieval church of San Miguel Arcángel, the memory of the Tierra de Tábara and the services that make visiting both villages comfortable.

  • Church of San Miguel Arcángel, with its stone tower and the roof of the nave.
  • Moreruela de Tábara among cereal fields, with the hillside of the municipal district behind.
  • Mason's mark carved into an ashlar of the church of San Miguel Arcángel.
  • The river Esla dammed at Ricobayo, next to the bridge on the ZA-123 road.
  • Puente de Quintos, a stone arch bridge over the river Esla.
  • Town hall of Moreruela de Tábara, in rubble stone and brick, with its clock and flags.
  • The church of San Miguel Arcángel seen from the road, with its columned porch and a stork's nest on the tower.

The church of San Miguel Arcángel

Exterior visible all year · interior only during services or by arrangement

A 12th-13th century church with three naves separated by pointed arches and pillars carved with figures and plant motifs. Two features stand out on its walls: the blocked rose window (a circular opening now walled up) and several decorative pieces reused from earlier buildings, which fuel the debate about an early medieval monastery in the area.

Full page on San Miguel Arcángel →

Is this the village of the Moreruela monastery?

No. The monastery of Santa María de Moreruela is in Granja de Moreruela, a different town about 23 minutes away by road, and it is a separate excursion. What is studied in this village is another, older monastic story, one that specialists have not settled. It is explained below.

How the monastery fits into an excursion from here →

Documented history

  • Academic sources link the church and its surroundings with a 9th-10th century monastic community connected to the monastic world of Tábara. Its exact location is not settled among specialists: it is an interpretation, not a delimited archaeological site.
  • In the records of the lordship, Moreruela appears among the places of the Tierra Vieja and later of the Marquisate of Tábara.
  • In the first censuses the municipality was simply called «Moreruela». By 1857 it had already incorporated Pozuelo and Santa Eulalia; Pozuelo became independent again between 1940 and 1950.
  • The patron saint's festival is held around 29 September, San Miguel. Check each year's programme; the most recent edition documented by this site is that of 2024.

Verified services

Existence confirmed on 03/08/2026 · check days, food and availability before travelling.

  • Bar Restaurante Edén · Plaza de la Constitución, 1. Registered as a restaurant-bar in the tourism register of Castilla y León.
  • Bar Club de Jubilados · the village's second meeting and refreshment point.
  • La Otra Casa · rural house to rent at C/ Carretera, 81: 5 places, wifi, garage and dogs allowed; it lends bicycles to guests.
  • Casa Pernila · holiday home at C/ La Calera, 18: 4 places; the official register lists dogs allowed and a garden.

The swimming pool, the football pitch and the padel court

The three facilities stand next to one another: you park once and go from the pool to the pitch and the court without taking the car again.

Open in the summer months

Municipal swimming pool

Open in summer, with a bar. Ask about this season's hours on the information line.

Grass football pitch in Moreruela de Tábara, with the padel court and open country behind.

Football pitch

A grass pitch that hosts a summer camp for children every year.

Municipal padel court in Moreruela de Tábara at dusk, enclosed in glass and wire mesh.

Municipal and free

Padel court

Free to use: the key is asked for at the Bar Club de Jubilados.

The landscape: the Esla and the Ricobayo reservoir

The eastern part of the municipal district looks onto the river Esla at the tail of the Ricobayo reservoir. That real relationship between the village and a large body of water explains how the farming landscape evolved and gives meaning to the walk towards the El Castillón site, reached by a track of about 40 minutes by bicycle. You can also drive close by and continue on foot.

El Castillón and its landscape →

Can you reach Santa Eulalia without a car?

The villages are connected by a pleasant walk through open country, running alongside the road, of about 15 minutes.

Eating the flavours of the area

Moreruela de Tábara lies within the production area of the IGP Ternera de Aliste beef, and the whole province makes Queso Zamorano, a protected designation of origin cheese from churra and castellana sheep's milk. There is no documented dish exclusive to the village: ask in the bars for the dish of the day and check first whether they are serving food.

Santa Eulalia de Tábara with the bellcote of the church of Santo Tomás above the rooftops
The other village of the municipality Santa Eulalia de Tábara 2 km · about 3 minutes by road Continue the visit →

Church interior, food or somewhere to stay? Confirm openings and services before you come.

Plan your visit

The two villages